Our COVID-19 response: meeting a new challenge
A critical product needed in fighting this effort is isopropyl alcohol (IPA), and ExxonMobil Product Solutions is a leading producer of IPA. IPA is used to create a range of goods, including hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol and cleaning wipes, as well as other medical and pharmaceutical uses.
- The IPA unit at our refining and chemical facility in Baton Rouge (Louisiana) is the largest in the world.
- This year, 2020, marks the 100th year since ExxonMobil (Standard Oil of New Jersey at that time) first introduced commercial-scale production and supply of IPA to the market.
- IPA was the first synthetic alcohol to be produced and employed technology invented in-house in 1919.
- As part of our COVID-19 response, we are prioritizing and maximizing production of IPA from the facility to help meet the significant rise in demand.
- We are working to supply IPA to areas of need—including to the states of New York and Louisiana, some of the most affected areas in the United States by COVID-19.
Our chemical company also produces a wide range of products which serve as the building blocks for products used in health, hygiene and/or sanitation applications. These include:
- Performance fluids that are used in a variety of hard-surface cleaning products at hospitals and other healthcare facilities.
- Polyethylene used to manufacture medical gowns, various medical devices and equipment, plus packaging that is critical in keeping medical, hygiene and food products safe and protected.
- Polypropylene used to manufacture hygiene products, face masks, and medical gowns.
- Oxo alcohols that are used in the production of surfactants found in a broad range of cleaning products including soaps, detergents and other cleaning agents, and
- Halobutyl rubber, used in the production of pharmaceutical stoppers used in the final packaging of medical preparations, especially those intended to be sterile.
The people of ExxonMobil Product Solutions, our distributors and our Customers are working together to bring the world the products that are so vitally needed during this time. We’d like to share a few of these stories with you.
Collaboration leads to essential protective garments
When an innovative customer in Spain quickly transformed its production lines to provide protective products for frontline medical works, we wanted to help right away. ExxonMobil, along with other leading polyethylene suppliers, donated raw materials to Armando Alvarez Group, which is now manufacturing and distributing protective coveralls for hospitals at no charge.
Our Coronavirus response
ExxonMobil is working to help meet the needs of health care professionals fighting this pandemic on the front lines, as well as those socially distancing themselves at home. While those needs continue to evolve, the company remains focused on working to meet global energy demand.
A new collaboration to fight COVID-19
When it comes to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, it doesn’t matter the size of the company. Everyone has a role to play. For ExxonMobil – one of the world’s largest producers of isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a key ingredient in medical hand sanitizer – it means getting the product to where it’s needed most.
Helping doctors and nurses breathe safely
An ExxonMobil team of experts in chemicals, materials science and manufacturing is offering their experience to help a collaborative effort organized by the Global Center for Medical Innovation. By quickly connecting its customers to solution providers, ExxonMobil helped create a new supply chain to respond to the medical needs in hospitals across the country.
Producing solutions for frontline professionals
ExxonMobil is maximizing its production of the high-performance polymers used to make face masks, surgical gowns and other critical medical supplies for those treating patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus. The company’s plants around the world manufacture the building blocks for plastics, like polypropylene and polyethylene.