Our Coronavirus response
ExxonMobil is working to help meet the needs of health care professionals fighting this pandemic on the front lines, as well as those socially distancing themselves at home. While those needs continue to evolve, the company remains focused on working to meet global energy demand.
“On our offshore platforms, in our refineries, at our lubes and chemical plants and throughout our facilities worldwide, our people are getting the job done while protecting themselves and others,” writes Darren Woods, ExxonMobil chairman and CEO.
Safety is priority one. We have implemented new cleaning measures and social distancing policies at our facilities around the world, and many employees are working remotely to help limit the spread of COVID-19.
- For those who are most critical to our operations, such as our workforce at refineries, chemical plants and production sites, employees are staying six feet apart from their colleagues and working in small-team shifts.
- For our customers filling up their vehicles, Exxon, Mobil and Esso service stations are sanitizing surfaces and pump handles more frequently and encouraging the use of contactless payment, such as the Exxon Mobil Rewards+™ app, when possible.
Meanwhile, we continue to produce the fuel the world needs.
- Gasoline, diesel, marine fuels and other products are being shipped around the world, enabling doctors, nurses and other medical personnel to get to hospitals to help critical patients.
Our experts are working across industry, academia and government to get critical products into the hands of medical professionals as quickly as possible.
- We’re supporting a collaborative effort, organized by the Global Center for Medical Innovation, to rethink how face shields and face masks are made. Hear from ExxonMobil digital transformation expert Justin Sink on how the team is getting the job done.
- The group is ramping up the supply chain and production process, working to manufacture more than 170,000 shields per hour in the coming days.
- By the numbers: 50,000 face shields have already been produced and are being distributed to hospitals in New York and Atlanta.
We’re also helping those affected by COVID-19 by contributing to local relief efforts around the world. A few examples:
- In the greater Houston area – where 11,000 of our employees call home – the company is helping provide 1 million meals to COVID-19-affected communities by donating a total of $250,000 to the Houston and Montgomery County food banks. This will help feed children, families and seniors facing unprecedented hardship during the coronavirus pandemic.
- In the Permian region, which spans west Texas and southeast New Mexico, we’re donating a total of $200,000 to help the Carlsbad (NM) Municipal Schools’ online education resources as students transition to remote learning, and support the West Texas Food Bank’s critical mission in the Permian.
- In China, we donated USD $200,000 to the China Charity Federation and provided the lubricants that supported the construction of hospitals and ambulances during the outbreak.
- By the numbers: The company provided 42,000 medical masks and 4,300 protective suits for affected communities during the outbreak in China.
- And we are continuing to donate to initiatives around the world, from Italy to Papua New Guinea, to stop the spread of coronavirus and meet the needs of patients.
Chemical plants near and far are working to help fill shortages in medical protective gear and disinfectants.
- The world’s largest isopropyl alcohol (IPA) production unit, in the Baton Rouge Chemical Plant, is working at maximum capacity to provide the main ingredient in hand sanitizer to states in need.
- We are also helping provide the necessary chemicals used in medical face masks, IV bags, ventilator machines and hospital gowns.
The bottom line: No matter what crisis the world faces, hardworking employees at ExxonMobil continue to supply the energy and chemical products needed to respond and support their communities.
More information on isopropyl alcohol, including product data sheets and gradeslates, and other innovative ExxonMobil Product Solutions healthcare solutions.
Improve barrier performance, fit and fabric comfort in medical nonwovens with a wide range of products from ExxonMobil Product Solutions. These include Achieve™ Advanced PP, ExxonMobil™ PP, Vistamaxx™ performance polymers and polyethylene products, including Exceed™ performance PE polymers. Applications include surgical drapes and gowns, medical protective gowns, face masks, shoe covers, disposable bedding and hospital apparel, sponges, pads, wraps, and filtration media.
A new collaboration to fight COVID-19
When it comes to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic, it doesn’t matter the size of the company. Everyone has a role to play. For ExxonMobil – one of the world’s largest producers of isopropyl alcohol (IPA), a key ingredient in medical hand sanitizer – it means getting the product to where it’s needed most.
Helping doctors and nurses breathe safely
An ExxonMobil team of experts in chemicals, materials science and manufacturing is offering their experience to help a collaborative effort organized by the Global Center for Medical Innovation. By quickly connecting its customers to solution providers, ExxonMobil helped create a new supply chain to respond to the medical needs in hospitals across the country.
Producing solutions for frontline professionals
ExxonMobil is maximizing its production of the high-performance polymers used to make face masks, surgical gowns and other critical medical supplies for those treating patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by coronavirus. The company’s plants around the world manufacture the building blocks for plastics, like polypropylene and polyethylene.