Bags and sacks
Applications and benefits
Typical applications include films for medium- and heavy-duty bags and sacks (laminated or nonlaminated) that package products like rice, cereals, animal foods, lawn and garden produce, fertilizers and resins.
Across the supply chain, performance PE polymer -based solutions deliver performance and value. Formulations can be tailored to derive maximum benefit in both vertical and tubular form as well as fill and seal (FFS) processes.
- High film output, excellent cost performance balance, easily adapted formulations
- High packaging-line speeds, excellent product imagery/branding potential, cost optimization opportunities, rigidity and stiffness for good machinability
- Superior transportation and storage packaging integrity, excellent product imagery/branding potential, good creep resistance during storage
- More convenience and less spillage for consumers
Compared with conventional alternatives, performance PE polymer -based films in bags and sacks for pet foods, lawn and garden products, rice and other products offer:
- Improved film extrusion with potential film-line output benefits
- Simplified product formulation, reduced costs, improved film quality and consistency
- Lower working capital through material savings and lower inventory
- Tailored tensile and modulus properties, reducing bag deformation through improved creep
Performance polymers improve the overall production quality of polypropylene (PP) raffia tape by enhancing the two properties critical in manufacturing: elongation and tenacity. Because tapes have higher tenacity, they can be stretched further and there is less tape breakage. Performance polymer-based AFMB (anti-fibrillating masterbatch) helps improve the elongation of the tape and allows an increased dosage of AFMB for noncritical applications, thus reducing the cost of the fabric.
- Improved tenacity
- Higher elongation
- Less tape breakage with higher filler loading
- Faster line speeds and improved output
- Downgauging opportunities
- Cost-reduction opportunities
Manufacturers of polypropylene (PP) woven sacks look for lower costs through seal extrusion rather than stitching PP woven sacks, stronger sacks, higher throughput and cost reduction opportunities. Adding performance polymers to a conventional PP formulation can deliver:
- Opportunities to tailor the coating properties to meet the requirements of end-use applications by blending with PP and polyethylene (PE)
- Effective seals at very low temperatures (below conventional polymers), increasing line throughput
- Low material consumption by using blends, coextrusion and downgauging
- High bond strength for robust packaging solutions – better than homopolymer polypropylene (hPP) and random copolymer polypropylene (RCP)
- Excellent adhesion without pretreatment on woven sacks
- High UV resistance compared with hPP
- Controlled coefficient of friction (COF) for effective pallet stability
- Ease of processing on conventional extrusion coating line
Heavy duty sacks designed for extreme performance
Learn about the benefits of manufacturing heavy duty sacks with Exceed™ XP performance polyethylene (PE).
Creating heavy duty sacks with sustainability benefits: The value chain working together.
See how Selene, ExxonMobil, W&H and Aventus worked together to develop, create, test and fill heavy duty sacks with films containing 50% post-consumer recycled (PCR) PE content using ExxonMobil’s Exceed™ XP 8318 and Exceed™ 1012 performance polyethylene resins. Learn what each company contributed and evaluate the results.
Introducing Exceed™ S performance polyethylene for so much, so simply
When your applications demand the ultimate in stiffness and toughness, and easy processing is essential, the Exceed™ S resin portfolio is a solution that can elevate performance, while simplifying operations.
Exceed™ XP performance polyethylene for eXtreme Performance
If your applications are highly demanding, the Exceed™ XP portfolio of resins offers the extreme toughness needed to deliver truly differentiated solutions.
Exceed™ performance polyethylene for sealability and optical performance
For your applications that need a combination of outstanding sealing and best-in-class optical properties, Exceed™ PE resins are the answer.
Enable™ performance polyethylene for easy processability
When you are looking for more stable operations and better line output, Enable™ PE resins deliver excellent processability and bubble stability with HAO properties in a single resin.
Benefit from excellent performance and value with our engineered homopolymers, impact copolymers and random copolymers.
ExxonMobil™ and ExxonMobil™ NTX linear low-density polyethylene (LLDPE) resins offer an optimal balance of toughness and stiffness.
Featured resourcesView highlighted news, events, technical papers and case studies below. To see our full collection of resources, browse our Library.
Stronger heavy duty sacks using eXtreme Performance films
ExxonMobil's Exceed™ XP performance polymers provide a range of benefits that allow the fabrication of high-quality 3-layer heavy duty sack films. High package integrity, excellent sealing characteristics, enhanced machinability and outstanding operational efficiencies are all possible.
Customer testimonial: Tough raffia tapes
Watch how Hengli produces tough raffia tapes cost-effectively with a Vistamaxx™ performance polymer-based enhancer masterbatch.
Value-added heavy-duty sacks film
Exceed™ and Enable™ performance polymers provide outstanding operational efficiency and offer improved overall packaging integrity resulting in significant downgauging opportunities for heavy-duty sacks film.
Exceed™ XP 8784
Developed for high performance coextrusion films used in laminated sacks, freezer films, barrier packaging and sachets.