Alliance to End Plastic Waste - 2020 Progress Report
The Alliance to End Plastic Waste, of which ExxonMobil is a founding member, recently released its 2020 Progress Report, detailing the organization’s progress on waste management and recycling infrastructure, innovation, education and engagement, and clean up.
It all starts with Collaboration
“I am excited to see the progress by the Alliance, ExxonMobil and other member companies,” said Karen McKee, President of ExxonMobil Product Solutions Company. “ExxonMobil shares society’s concern about plastic waste in the environment, and the Alliance is demonstrating how successful plastic waste management solutions can be when we work together across industry, governments, civil society and development agencies.”
The Alliance has activated 14 projects across six countries in South East Asia, India and Africa – all at the frontline of the plastic waste challenge.
Examples of Alliance project milestones outlined in the 2020 Progress Report include the following:
- Project STOP (Stop Ocean Plastics) in Jembrana, Northwest Bali Indonesia, has created the regency’s first-ever solid waste management service with a full recycling system that will create new, permanent jobs and aim to collect 20,000 tons of waste per year.
- The End Plastic Waste Innovation Platform with Plug and Play has fostered start-ups that can impact the plastic value chain. The program has seen more than 1,000 start-ups from Silicon Valley, Paris and Singapore apply.
- Planks of Promise in the Philippines, an Alliance project with local social enterprise The Plastic Flamingo, tackles marine plastic pollution by collecting and recycling plastic waste. The project also involves collecting hard-to-recycle used plastic waste, including flexible packaging, then sorting and processing it for conversion into 100% recycled and recyclable plastic planks.
At ExxonMobil, we continue to focus a significant portion of our industry-leading R&D capabilities on technologies at both ends of the value chain:
- Creating innovative products that enable reductions in plastic waste by achieving performance needs with less material, increasing recyclability of packaging and enabling customers to increase recycled content.
- Working on technology options that convert plastic waste to valuable products and raw materials by leveraging safe, large-scale, reliable and economic chemical processes.