Hydraulic fracturing is helping operators unlock vast amounts of cleaner-burning natural gas from shale rock. With Escaid™ PathFrac™ fluid, operators can meet their need for reliable hydraulic fracturing operations with a reduced environmental footprint compared to traditional diesel.
Purified by an advanced hydrogenation process, Escaid PathFrac fluid effectively facilitates the delivery of friction reducers and viscosity modifiers into the fracturing fluid formulation. Escaid PathFrac can also be used as an effective barrier fluid in emulsified acid applications and as a gelled diesel replacement for oil-based applications.
Applications and benefits
- Consistency and stability of fracturing formulations due to narrow boiling range. Potential for high efficiency with a smaller environmental footprint versus traditional diesel
- Very low acute toxicity effects on marine or freshwater species
- Readily biodegradable (per OECD 301F test methodology)
- No environmental hazard classification under EU CLP8 regulation and under GHS9
- Potential for improved safety and health versus traditional diesel
- Lower risk of worker exposure to vapors
- Lower skin irritation
- Lower flammability risk due to higher flash points
- Low subchronic toxicity; nonmutagenic
- Not classified by U.S. Department of Transportation
- Escaid™ PathFrac™ fluid has nondetectable levels of benzene toluene, ethyl benzene and xylenes (BTEX)
- Low total aromatic content (< 0.02 wt%)
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) levels < 0.001 wt%
- Potential benefits for operations in cold-weather conditions
- Low typical pour points (-39°C and -20°C respectively for Escaid PathFrac and Escaid™ PathFrac™ HV)
Whether used as carrier fluid of suspension/slurry formulations, as inverse emulsion of viscosifier or friction reducers, or as gelled fracturing fluid, Escaid PathFrac enables hydraulic fracturing operations with a reduced environmental impact, reduced friction and optimum rheology compared to traditional diesel
Taking unconventional extraction further
Purified by an advanced hydrogenation process, Escaid™ PathFrac™ fluid effectively facilitates the delivery of key additives, which drive the performance of fracturing fluid formulations.