Drilling base oil
With more than a century dedicated to finding and producing oil and gas, ExxonMobil has built an incomparable level of experience in how to do it right. We combined our drilling, product technology and environmental expertise to tailor a range of Escaid™ base fluids for drilling mud oils that perform under the toughest drilling conditions – while meeting safety, health and environmental requirements. Each Escaid fluid grade features distinct characteristics that address unique requirements.
Applications and benefits
Specifically developed for drilling applications, Escaid fluids deliver exceptional performance compared to diesel-type base oils both onshore and offshore while protecting rig operators, as shown below.
- Readily biodegradable per OECD 301F (freshwater) test methodology
- Potential for ultimate biodegradation in marine environments (OECD 306-seawater)
- > 60 percent biodegradation based on ThOD per OECD 306 (seawater) test methodology
- Meets requirement for Group III, highest classification by Oil and Gas Producers Association (OGP)
- Fulfills definition requirement for synthetic fluid per OSPAR decision 2000/3
- Portfolio includes high-flash-point products
- Not classified under the European Union Classification Labelling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures (CLP) or the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)
- Narrow-margin fracture gradient management, critical for extended-reach drilling and high-angle wells
- Helps improve bit hydraulics with more available horsepower from reduced pressure losses
- Aids safety in high-temperature drilling conditions
- Compatibility with elastomers
- Minimal impact to drilling fluid rheology at low operating or mud line temperatures