Plastics and polymers, including PVC, are essential to our quality of life. Many PVC products need to be flexible and soft to withstand physical stress without breaking. They also need to be able to take a particular shape for each and every application.
As the third largest polymer consumed, PVC enhances the quality of our daily life.
World Plastics Materials Demand 2014
Different PVC needs for different markets
What is PVC?
- energy efficient: it takes less energy to produce than many alternative plastics3
- cost effective
- flame retardant – inherent fire safety, due to chlorine
- durable: applications have long life-span expectancy
- versatile, printable and paintable
- adaptable: can be processed in multiple manufacturing operations
- chemically resistant
- recyclable and recycled4
3 Source: Milieuvriendelijk verpakken in de toekomst (Dutch: Environmentally friendly packaging in the future), Stichting Milieudefensie (Nl), 1991.
4in regions where recycling programs are available
What are plasticizers?Most plasticizers are esters, that make PVC soft, flexible and easy to shape
Not all plasticizer manufacturing processes are the same
2 DINCH is a trademark of BASF
Orthophthalates or terephthalates