We endorse the principles of sustainability, including the need to balance economic growth, social development and environmental protection in how we operate our business and market our products. We believe:
- Resources are limited and precious, and therefore should be used wisely
- Hydrocarbon feedstocks will continue to be the primary resource for our industry
- Economic parameters will drive market-acceptable solutions
- Technology and product safety will play a key role
- Reducing, reusing, recycling and recovering are important aspects of a sustainable business
Our philosophy of sustainability is turned into action through five key areas.
- Environmental - We strive to improve energy efficiency and reduce emissions in all of our operations as part of our focus on sustainable manufacturing. For example, we have made our steam crackers nearly 10% more efficient since 2001 with improvements achieved using our Global Energy Management System (GEMS).
- Management systems - Our Operations Integrity Management System (OIMS) communicates expectations, measures progress and helps to ensure results that adhere to our commitment to safety, security, health and the environment.
- Product safety and stewardship - More than 100 ExxonMobil scientists perform rigorous product safety tests and evaluations consistent with a defined process to ensure that our products are safe for their intended purpose. We've spent more than $500 million in the last 10 years on efforts to support product safety.
- Science-based approach - We subscribe to an environmentally conscious lifecycle approach to product testing, as outlined in ISO 14000. Making wise decisions about sustainable manufacturing requires reliable information and a science-based approach.
- Technology - We focus on efficient manufacturing processes that have lower environmental impact and on innovation to support the development of products with environmentally preferred characteristics. Examples include light weighting plastics, longer-life tires and low-toxicity fluids.